ART 2.0 A blog about ART - Specifically art that is made and resides in the cyber world.

To learn more about the goals of this blog, read here

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Art 2.0

Art 2.0 is a reference to the term Web 2.0.

According to Wikipedia "Web 2.0 is commonly associated with web applications that facilitate interactive information sharing, interoperability, user-centered design, and collaborations on the World Wide Web. Examples of Web 2.0 include web-based communities, hosted services, web applications, social-networking sites, video-sharing sites, wikis, blogs, mashups, and folksonomies. A Web 2.0 site allows its users to interact with other users or to change website content, in contrast to non-interactive websites where users are limited to the passive viewing of information that is provided to them."

Since Pepperdine, I've been interested in Internet art. A painter or draftsman by trade, I wondered specifically what an "Internet drawing" should look like. I'm not talking about uploading photographs of static drawings made in the physical world. Rather I'm interested in drawings that use the Internet itself as a medium... like charcoal or graphite. Think of the possibilities: interactivity, infinite duplication and sharing, and unlimited size to name a few. The definition of drawing that I prefer to work with is "A mark that transforms a ground." By this definition, a website could most certainly be considered a drawing.

I'm not the first artist to contemplate the potential of the Internet as a medium, in addition to a space, to make art. In fact, I'm probably part of the third or fourth generation of Net Artists. I do, however, have a certain loyalty to traditional drawing techniques that might lend me my own niche.

www.BradleyCarter.com is my showroom of sorts, but it is my hope that this blog will help in the process of creating my artwork. In art, digital art especially, it's so easy to overlook the process of an artwork. But the process of creating an art piece is important to an artist. It might even be the most important part... even more important than the finished piece. Something like the saying "it's the journey that matters, not the destination" I guess. Well, this blog should document some of that journey, and it is my hope that it will increase the significance and power of the art it documents.

No comments:

Post a Comment