ART 2.0 A blog about ART - Specifically art that is made and resides in the cyber world.

To learn more about the goals of this blog, read here

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Sketches



Here are two sketches I've recently done. Using only lines to make my drawings is my current answer to two important questions associated with computer-aided drawing:

1.)How can an artist get past the stigma that using the computer to draw is merely a shortcut?

2.) How can an artist have the most possible control over their drawing on the computer when computer programmers (artists?) have already decided most of a computer's functionality for you? ie: those who make the drawing software basically already decided what the circle tool does, and the parameters of the paint bucket tool.

My solution is drawing with one pixel-wide lines. I do this because then "physically" I touch every pixel that is modified in the drawing, undermining the idea that computer drawing is a shortcut. And the line is a very basic function... it's about as close to full control as an artist can get while still maintaining a free-hand drawing experience on a computer. Also, computers do lines very well. I feel like lines are an innate action for computers.

No comments:

Post a Comment